You're about to make a big investment so it's important that you do your research.
The following five steps should be taken before hiring any contractor:
1. Ask the Contractor for a copy of:
- Current Insurance Certificate. Make sure they are covered for Workman's Compensation, General Liability, and Automobile Insurance
- State or County License and Municipal Contractor's Occupational License
- References of past projects similiar to what you'd like to have completed
2. Check the Contractor's License Number at http://www.myfloridalicense.com
- Click on Verify A License
- Enter the license number provided or the name of the company
- Landmark Roofing License Number CCC1330094 & General Contracting License Number CGC1521030
- Verify the License is still active, Make sure it says NO under the "Ever Disciplined" Column
3. Check with the Better Business Bureau to verify there have been no complaints against the Contractor:
- Visit the Better Business Bureau online at http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/BBBWeb/Forms/General/Home.aspx
- Click on Company Reports
- Enter the Company Name. Be careful of companies with similiar names - verify the company address, if more than one company is listed.
- Move your cursor over the first column (the maginifying glass) and a small window will pop up, click on the "View Report" link in the window.
4. Call the References provided. Be sure to ask the following five questions:
- Why did you choose this contractor for your project?
- Did the work meet your expectations?
- Did this contractor meet all deadlines and keep the project within budget?
- Can you schedule a time to see their completed project?
- Would you hire this contractor again?